BCG Cystitis

5 years 2 months ago #56680 by DianaPB
Replied by DianaPB on topic BCG Cystitis
Hi Maagaa8,

I wonder if you have Dr. Lamm email address?

We tried several of his email links and did not work.

Thanks so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago #56679 by Maagaa8
Replied by Maagaa8 on topic BCG Cystitis
Just wanted to send anyone on the Forum the name of the most knowledgeable person on any type of BCG treatment and the results of BCG cystitis. He was wonderful when I texted him he actually sent me the medications he uses for treatment. His name is Dr. Donald Lamm and he is located in Phoenix Arizona. He answered every question that I had as he was one of the first physicians that ever used BCG treatment successfully

5 years 2 months ago #56678 by DianaPB
Hi Sara,

Thank you so much for the clear explanation about difference of Cystitis and Bladder Infection.

I just wonder if BCG causes Bladder Infections for some people, especially in this forum. I certainly hope to hear tricks to prevent infection by them.

Diana

5 years 2 months ago #56677 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG Cystitis
Diana, "cystitis" just means "inflammation of the bladder." It can be caused by a urinary tract infection or something else. Cystitis due to BCG is usually just irritation caused by the reaction to BCG. When I had BCG several times during the maintenance cycles I had what the urologist called "BCG-induced cystitis" or an irritated bladder and my BCG treatment was postponed for a week or two until the irritation settled down. It was no big deal.

But this is a question to discuss with your husband's urologist, who is the one who can SEE what is going on. I would assume that if he prescribed Cipro that he actually has identified a bacterial infection rather than cystitis caused by BCG.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlanta51, DianaPB

5 years 2 months ago #56675 by DianaPB
Hi Sara,

May I ask you some questions:

Is Cystitis Bladder Infection?

Do you think BCG may cause bladder infection?

Is anyway to prevent bladder infection during BCG treatment period?

(My husband never had bladder infection, but got B infection right after 1st BCG and got another B infection a few days after 2nd BCG. He takes Ciprofloxacin 500 mg pills per day now. I just worry he will keep delaying BCG if it continue to happen)

Thanks,

Diana

5 years 10 months ago #55289 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG Cystitis
I moved your post here, to "Non-invasive Bladder Cancer" since that is where more people who might be interested in your topic will see it.

BCG-cystitis is irritation caused by BCG. It just needs time to heal. Cipro is a powerful antibiotic that is used to certain infections, including some bladder infections. You probably do not have a bladder infection and over-use of antibiotics is a major problem today. If the condition is too uncomfortable, your urologist can prescribe a soothing
medication (the most common ones dye your urine a bright orange or a vivid blue!).

Hope this helps

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne