Does anyone take Metformin?

9 years 9 months ago #46443 by Hudsongrl
Replied by Hudsongrl on topic Does anyone take Metformin?
My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer 18 months ago. He has been on metformin approximately 3 years. I know there was a connection between Actos and bladder cancer, but are there studies showing a connection to metformin?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #46441 by bja121113
Replied by bja121113 on topic Does anyone take Metformin?
My husband has been taking Metformin for 12 years. He has always been a non-smoker and pretty healthy -- plus cancer does not run in his family. Last August (2013) he started urinating blood. Sure enough, the urologist said he has bladder cancer. He had surgery in December to remove several tumors and by March 2014 when he went in for his 3 month checkup, he had more tumors. Tomorrow we start BCG treatment and we both are very scared. I feel that the Metformin is the contributing factor to his bladder cancer -- which he stopped taking in March. I would be interested to know just how many people with bladder cancer has taken Metformin.

10 years 7 months ago #45156 by yoksgrl
Replied by yoksgrl on topic Does anyone take Metformin?
After 2 months taking Metformin i developed a benign bladder tumor. No one can tell me if the tumor was caused by the Metformin but I had no effects of bladder infections, UTI's or tumors before taking this medication.

12 years 10 months ago #37701 by camimor
Does anyone take Metformin? was created by camimor
I just had second TURB which showed nothing new since TaG3 removed on first one 3/30. So Dr. Nielsen (UNC-CH) is starting me on BCG. Before diagnosis I was taking Metformin for hyperinsulinemia (not yet Diabetes Type II) but stopped 3/11. No doctors are able to tell me if I should begin taking it again (including my endocrinologist), whether it may have beneficial or harmful effects on bladder/bladder cancer or if there is anything to worry about when undergoing BCG treatments. There are studies showing that Metformin has some anti tumor activity for some cancers (breast) but none have looked at bladder. There is a suggested link between insulin and cancer. Wonder if anyone is taking Metformin and has taken it without incident during BCG. Thank you so much most wonderful forum.

3/30/11 TURBT TCC TaG3
5/02/11 2nd TURB
7/6/11 6 completed 6 BCG
The following user(s) said Thank You: bja121113

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne