urethrectomy after r/c

5 years 8 months ago #55559 by rocksteady
Replied by rocksteady on topic urethrectomy after r/c
Jack, thanks for your reply. I had to chuckle- that is exactly what my wife said. We did ask the doc and he said it is possible it was there all along but he doubted it. He did many cystoscopes, bx etc and saw nothing. He noted the lack of growth if it was there for any length of time.

Anyway, thanks again and we'll see what happens?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #55557 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic urethrectomy after r/c
Charlie
or Rocksteady

Only part of your question falls into my experience,

When they found TCC in my ureter i learned a new term pan-urothelial cancer (replacing the term bladder cancer). the idea was that the ureter, bladder and urethra share a common lining, and cancer 'migrate' up or down the system.

Cancer staying in the original system, but showing up later, could be better news than having it metastasize to the urethra. Do ask your doctor if the cancer could have been in the urethra all along, but escaped detection until now. Lets hope that the cancer has not metastasized, and that it won't be showing up anywhere else.

Check with your doc. I felt much better after learning that the existing cancer can move through, and be confined to, the urinary system.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

5 years 8 months ago #55539 by rocksteady
urethrectomy after r/c was created by rocksteady
Hello folks, it's been a while...I had a r/c w/ ileal conduit 9/16. Everything seemed to go pretty good except for adhesions and ureter blockage in one kidney. Now it seems I have non invasive urethral cancer at the proximal end. I had pain/ itching and bleeding. A biopsy confirmed urothelial bladder cancer in my urethra. They want to do a urethrectomy in two weeks. I had a ct and mri which didn't pickup much.
Questions- what are the immediate after effects of the surgery ie pain,etc. and what is the longer term outlook. I've read outlook very poor for invasive tumors but mine doesn't seem to be that. where does it tend to show up next? when?
Thanks for any info,
Charlie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne