T1-G3 New treatment Gemzar Questions

4 years 9 months ago #57942 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic T1-G3 New treatment Gemzar Questions
SWArmy

Overall, I found intravesical Gemcitabine to be have far less unpleasant side effects than BCG. HOWEVER, BCG hit me hard, and Gen its own set of side effects.

Gem had me fatigued from the first treatment. Previously injured joints hurt, arthritis flared. I cant say that Gem caused all these symptoms, but they are very similar to the effects I had earlier with IV Gem.

My docs and the literature had very little to say about expected side effects from Intravesical Gemcitabine. It is becoming a more common procedure as BCG keeps having supply problems.

Scope of bladder after Gem was indeterminate - TURBT with random biopsies is scheduled for 7 weeks. like you, I am hoping for good results but have also read the odds as reported by Lamm and others. hope it works fo you.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021
The following user(s) said Thank You: swarmy2007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #57939 by swarmy2007
T1-G3 New treatment Gemzar Questions was created by swarmy2007
On previous post here I posted I have been diagnosed 2+ years ago with T1-G3 and had return every 6 months with TURBT and 6 weeks BCG yet has failed. Oncology now having me take 6 weeks Gemzar then likely RC. Compared to my BCG treatments which made me extremely ill 103 temps plus why they stopped after 2 doses 3rd go round the Gemzar 1st treatment 3 days ago was a breeze. Questions on Gemzar are: as weeks go by are the effects accumulative? I seem very week in legs and wobbly after 1st treatment is this normal? I know the Gemzar has about a 17% chance helping my high grade return cancer (NIH numbers) yet doctors want to try it. They will then put me with dietician to "build me up" for the RC along with cardiac & pulmonary checks. I've read on NIH mixed results with return/spread after RC of high grade yet know this last option for me. Any comments, suggestions or discussion appreciated. ps.... my left kidney really hurts since Gemzar other day and the 1st tumor was at kidney/bladder tube requiring long stent for 6 weeks after TURBT. Can Gemzar "backflow" into kidney? CT scan showed no mass in kidneys just old lesions and cysts likely from having boxed in Army and getting kidney chops often?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne