Cancer center recommendations

4 years 10 months ago #57785 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Cancer center recommendations
Either of your suggestions would be excellent choices!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #57783 by Momar
Replied by Momar on topic Cancer center recommendations
Thank you. We’re at VCU in Richmond now but considering John’s Hopkins or Cleveland Clinic for second opinion.

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #57782 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Cancer center recommendations
Momar,

Welcome. Directly to your question on hospitals: health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cancer. Just copy and paste the link. Hopefully, someone will chime in for a Virginia link. I also distilled this further for Virginia: health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/va

Second item. You really won't know what the actual diagnosis is until the second TURB and pathology is done. In all the years I have volunteered on this board I am often surprised with good and bad guesses!

Don't feel too bad on your Doc's TURB. Mine didn't get enough muscle on my first either but, I learned on high grade tumors a second is almost always done to be safe. So hold on to that thought and I know waiting is tough. All we can control is one day at a time. Keep posting once you get the pathology report. Someone will have been there and done that should see your thread.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 10 months ago #57781 by Momar
Cancer center recommendations was created by Momar
My husband had TURBT three weeks ago. The biopsies showed high grade non invasive cancer. We are able to get BCG, however the doctor didn’t get any muscle tissue in the biopsies. Yesterday he had a second TURBT to biopsy the muscle. The doctor was surprised and seemed almost sure it is in the muscle. I don’t know how he missed that with the first TURBT. I’m assuming a cystectomy is next and who knows what else if it is muscle invasive. I’ve read that sometimes chemo therapy is done prior to surgery. Anyone want to share their experiences? We live in Virginia. What centers are recommended?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne