Hospitals that provide Bladder Preservation & RC Procedures

4 years 9 months ago #57677 by doris
For neobladder, Sloane in NYC. Dr. Bochner is the surgeon you want.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #57557 by NelsJenn
Dear Alan,

"One day at a time" sounds good. Alan, thanks for chiming in, and giving me perspective on the process.

Much appreciation, Lee

Bladder Cancer - Non-Invasive 2019
High Grade - T1
2 TURBT - 2019
9 BCG Infusions - 2019
Ureter Tumor Discovered - 2021

4 years 10 months ago #57555 by Alan
Welcome, I was in your shoes 11 years ago. It is simply one day at a time! That is ALL you can control. While rare, we have seen people go through TURBs and find out they did NOT even have cancer. Add the fact if there is tissue to sent to the pathology department you won't really know much until they diagnose what the specimen is. IF it should be cancer it is treatable and beatable by the vast majority with this disease.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 10 months ago #57554 by NelsJenn
Dear Sara Anne,

Thank you for responding, and giving me a sense of what the level of urgency should be. My doctors are not able to give me a diagnosis or any idea of the severity of the cancer yet, and this has made me anxious.

I have read a lot about bladder cancer and the treatments available. And, in the worst case scenario, I will have to travel out of my area to receive treatment.

Hoping for the best, but planning for the worst, perhaps gives me a sense of knowing what I will want to do in the future.

Again, Sara Anne, thanks so much for the support. I notice you have contributed much feedback in this forum, so I feel everyone here is so blessed for knowledge, opinion, and support.

Much regards, Lee

High Grade - T1
2 TURBT - 2019
9 BCG Infusions - 2019

4 years 10 months ago #57551 by sara.anne
I am not sure about the "three-best" but both Stanford and USC have excellent urology departments and are located in California. BUT you are way premature in your thinking when you do not have a firm diagnosis yet. While it is possible that you might need a radical cystectomy, most patients who find that they have bladder cancer never need such surgery.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #57548 by NelsJenn
Dear Forum Members,

Can anyone tell me which three US hospitals are the best ones for bladder preservation therapy?

Also, which three US hospitals are the best ones for radical cystectomy, specifically with bladder reconstruction (by surgically creating a neobladder) and nerve sparing?

I have done a search on Google about this, and called a half a dozen hospitals, but haven't been given much information about their approach with treatment. Some hospital websites are helpful, but they are often times very general in nature. They all seem to want to book a new patient appointment immediately. I just want to know their approach and the treatments they offer at this point. Am I doing something wrong here?

I live in a rural area in California, so I will have to travel for further treatment if needed, and would like to know which hospitals offer which approaches/treatments.

I have been diagnosed with bladder cancer and will be going through the TURBT procedure next week. I will also be receiving intravesical chemotherapy with mytomiicm-C.

I am hoping for the best, but planning for the worst.

I have been reading everyones' BC story on this forum. Thanks for your courage and support. I am empowered, and yet still somewhat afraid.

Regards, Lee

High Grade - T1
2 TURBT - 2019
9 BCG Infusions - 2019

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne