42yrs, high grade, aggressive T2 - what are my odds?

6 years 10 months ago #53303 by _substandard
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

After I've found blood in my urine in January, I was eventually diagnosed with an aggressive high-grade T2 bladder cancer.

The RC is scheduled for August and chemotherapy is starting in 2 weeks. However, my oncologist said the chemo increases my chances by only 5% while my overall prognosis of survival after 5 years is around 50%.

I'm 42 years old and married with my wonderful wife since only one year. We were to start our life together but now I don't even know whether this or the next summer will be my last one. I'm deeply saddened and I can't think of anything else. I'm heartbroken and I hope someone can give me an educated guess regarding my real chances (worst/best case) based on my diagnosis (see below) as my doctors are holding back with estimates as usual.

A. BLADDER TUMOR, TRANSURETHRAL RESECTION / FROZEN SECTION:
- POORLY DIFFERENTIATED CARCINOMA, HIGH GRADE, INVASIVE, WITH MARKED FREEZING AND POSSIBLE CAUTERY ARTIFACT.
B. SUPERFICIAL BLADDER TUMOR, TRANSURETHRAL RESECTION:
- POORLY DIFFERENTIATED, INVASIVE CARCINOMA, WITH IMMUNOHISTOCHEMICAL STAINING PROFILE COMPATIBLE WITH HIGH GRADE, POORLY DIFFERENTIATED, INVASIVE UROTHELIAL CARCINOMA.
- INVASION OF MUSCULARIS PROPRIA / DETRUSOR MUSCLE IS IDENTIFIED. C. BASE OF BLADDER TUMOR, TRANSURETHRAL RESECTION:
- POORLY DIFFERENTIATED, INVASIVE CARCINOMA, COMPATIBLE WITH HIGH-GRADE, POORLY DIFFERENTIATED, INVASIVE UROTHELIAL CARCINOMA.
- TUMOR SHOWS INVASION OF MUSCULARIS PROPRIA / DETRUSOR MUSCLE.
COMMENT: In specimens B and C the tumor shows extensive invasion of muscularis propria.

I know it's a long way to go and anything can happen. Yet I'd need to know more in order to make peace with whatever could happen.

I'm grateful for all your feedback!
J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lotech35

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne