Third cancer in 9 years

4 years 7 months ago #58259 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Third cancer in 9 years
Join the club ! I started with breast cancer which was estrogen positive and had a modified radical mastectomy in 1996. Then I waited 18 years to have high grade non-invasive CIS bladder cancer which BCG seems to have taken care of so far . Then I waited seven years to have malignant melanoma which does not seem to have spread anywhere .. this was followed two years later by squamous cell carcinoma on my face which also appears to have been removed successfully They certainly are not connected to each other but I do have to wonder if something in my genes has made me more susceptible to various cancers then normal people .

I am just very grateful that all of these cancers seem to be completely under control

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 7 months ago #58258 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Third cancer in 9 years
Welcome, rpbrertel.

You have had more than your share of cancers. I have no medical answer to your question as I am not a doctor. My gut reaction is they are not related. I know of one person that has endured 5 different cancers over a 40 year period. Why does this happen? There may be an answer but, that is the million dollar question. I have personally had two the other being a melanoma.

The only thing I add is we don't want to get down on our luck. There are plenty of people with worse problems. Heck, I have had 7 surgeries the past 12 years. 2 TURBS, 2 hernia repairs, torn wrist ligaments, triple bypass and carotid artery surgery. Still going forward and feel good. You will get this past you as your post sounds...going foward! Worry? No, however always be vigilant.

Keep posting. rants, complaints and good news are always welcome here.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 7 months ago #58257 by rpbrertel
Third cancer in 9 years was created by rpbrertel
In 2009, I was dx with Stage 0 papillary thyroid ca. I had a total thyroidectomy, and removal of 3 parathyroid glands.
In 2010, I was dx with lobular invasive breast ca. It was hormone positive, herceptin negative. I had lumpectomy, targeted brachytherapy radiation, and 5 years of oral aromatase inhibitor. Negative genetic testing.
In 6/2018, I had gross hematuria, was dx with low grade, noninvasive papillary bladder cancer. I had a TURBT, no BCG or other treatment. I have a cystoscope every 3 months. I did have a polyp and inconclusive biopsy in April 2019.
I feek fine, I exercise, and have a healthy diet.
Could these cancers be related?
Should I be worried and fearful?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne