Cystoscopy Complications and Questions

4 years 9 months ago #57794 by Pixie91
Replied by Pixie91 on topic Cystoscopy Complications and Questions
Hello and I am sorry for your issues. I would ask for the catheter to be left in. It will actually give your bladder time to heal. I wore one for weeks after a kidney removal due to upper urothelial carcinoma. Prior to that, I had one along with a ureter stint after a pyelogram to diagnose the cancer. Had 2 more scopes after the nephrectomy due to high chance of cancer spreading to bladder, which it did, another TURBT, 6 BCG treatment and last week another TUR to make sure no new tumors. Any time I have had Cath, it was actually a blessing albeit a hassle..but not as painful as urinating fresh off the biopsies. I hope this helps and good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #57793 by Chuck37
Replied by Chuck37 on topic Cystoscopy Complications and Questions
Hello RHZ,

I have bladder cancer, recently had a TURBT procedure and had to wear a Foley catheter for two weeks afterward. The day they removed the Foley they first filled my bladder with saline solution then removed the Foley and asked me to pee. Since I could not pee they demonstrated how to use a self catheter and drained my bladder and sent me home with a supply of them.

The first night at bedtime since I could not pee I used the self catheter and was able to empty my bladder. It was not a painful procedure but it was uncomfortable. I was not looking forward to using a self catheter on a daily basis but the next morning I was able to pee okay and have not had to use a self catheter since.You might want to look into a self catheter. The devices are a one time thing, much smaller in diameter than a Foley, relatively inexpensive and you throw it away after each use.

There is a free Kindle book on Amazon ==> Secrets of Male Catheter Insertion for Prostate Problems: How to Insert a Catheter Safely and Easily Without Pain: A Manual For Men, Health Practitioners and Students, and Emergency Room Nurses.

For control of chronic lower back pain I use Tramadol and can recommend it over the other opioids.

Good luck

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #57778 by Knifedealer
Replied by Knifedealer on topic Cystoscopy Complications and Questions
I've had 3 cystoscopies: 1 in Sept. of last year (during which tumors were discovered) and 2 since having surgery to remove said tumors. The last cystoscopy took place one week ago and I'm happy to report that other than one suspect area (raised and substantively more pink that surrounding tissue), things were clear. We will take a look at that area (which was also present during my 1st post-TURB cysto) along with everything else in 3 months and decide then if a biopsy of that area is in order.

In my experience, the first 2 cystoscopies and the TURB in between caused considerable trauma. For many days after the TURB it felt as if I were urinating fire. The last cystoscopy a week ago was ... not too bad at all. The difference being in part my mental state. I knew what to expect. I told myself that I was just going to "cowboy up" for the during the few minutes of discomfort. Unlike the 2 cystoscopies prior, per my request the doctor prescribed me 5 mg of diazapam to take an hour before the procedure. It helped ... a little.

To answer your question about post-procedure complications, phenazopyridine 100 mg tablets helped with the intense burning during urination. Other than that, for a few days after the TURB I found it easier to get down on the floor, on hands and knees, when urinating.

Best to you.

4 years 9 months ago #57776 by rhz
Replied by rhz on topic Cystoscopy Complications and Questions

Thanks. I don't think that they'd give me tramadol before the procedure. Last time I took Vicodin after the procedure.

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #57763 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Cystoscopy Complications and Questions
Welcome, RHZ.

Besides 2 TURBS I have been knocked out for 6 other surgeries (triple bypass, hernias, torn wrist ligaments etc). The good news is I am healthier than I was 10 years ago. The last one was for a carotid artery cleaning and I had post urine retention (POUR). I had to wear the cath bag for 5 days after which I was able to void with no problem. They had me on Tramadol after 1 or 2 doses and I quit that quickly in the hospital and Hydrocodone/Vicodin does nothing for me other getting sick to my stomach so did not have on my last surgery. I had never taken Tramadol before so maybe that is suspect?

So, I am right there with you on your concern. My guess and questions from my docs are that all of us react differently to anesthesia. I would communicate as much info as you can. I am not aware of any other options other than a cath bag. At the same time it is possible certain drugs may make the bladder unresponsive more than others. I know this isn't much help but, sometimes knowing others have fought this will let you know it WILL pass.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 9 months ago #57762 by rhz
Hello,

I'm new here (age 53, male) with a couple of questions about cystoscopies. I've had two so far--both rigid. The first was many years ago with only lidocaine and the second was under a general anesthetic where bladder biopsies were performed and small bladder stones were removed. Recovery from each of these procedures was difficult--especially the second time round It was very hard to start urinating again, and when I eventually did (more than 12 hours after the second procedure) it was very painful. After the second cystoscopy, the pain lasted for a full month.

I now need to do this a third time (for larger bladder stones), and I'm very concerned about post-procedure recovery--how to start peeing again on my own before my bladder fills and how to manage pain. Based on the last time, my urologist says that I have an unusually difficult response to the procedure.

To ensure that urine doesn't back up, he said he could leave in a catheter (while under the general) if I wanted, but given how irritated everything will be, I'm not sure that's a good idea. I know that anesthesia can cause urine retention as well. Is there anything that can be done aside from the catheter? As for managing pain, last time I was given Vicodin, and it made me very, very nauseous. This time he thought I might try Tramadol but had some concern about its blood thinning effects. He wondered whether performing the biopsies was what caused the pain to last for so long.

I know people here have a lot of experience with cystoscopies, and I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to best deal with the post-procedure complications I've described.

Thank you.

rhz

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne