Update

4 years 10 months ago #57711 by GMM
Replied by GMM on topic Update
Thanks so much for your response! I had the cystoscope 5 months ago and nothing abnormal was seen. Is it likely that something was missed at that time? I thought that cystoscope is a reliable test for finding bladder cancer. After researching the “black specks”in urine on the internet, it seems to be highly suggestive of bladder cancer. If this is the case, I don’t understand why my urologist didn’t order further testing sooner. All that was recommended was a 6 month follow-up. Now I’m afraid that in that time there could be further growth if it is bladder cancer. Just extremely anxious. Thanks for listening!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #57708 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Update
Sorry that you’re having these problems. Unfortunately urinary blood is one of the most puzzling things that happens to people . Yes it can be a symptom of bladder cancer or multiple other things. In many cases a cause is never determined.

You are having all the tests that should be done to try to diagnose the situation and eliminate bladder cancer as a cause. Just be grateful if nothing is found!

Let us know what the CT-urogram shows.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 10 months ago #57707 by GMM
Update was created by GMM
I am a 51 year old female. About 5 months ago I noticed what looked like black fibers when urinating. Urine had been darker than usual and sometimes orange first thing in the morning but no visible blood. The color would always become yellow or clear after drinking water so I assumed that it was dehydration. Of course my GP had just retired so I went to Urgent Care where they found trace blood in the urine but no infection. Several days later I went to the ER where I had a Pelvic/Abdominal CT without contrast to detect kidney stones. No abnormalities were detected in the scan. Urine analysis continues to show microscopic blood. Bloodwork was all ok including kidney function. Saw a urologist who performed a cystoscope in the office. Urine was collected during the procedure and tested for cancer cells. Both tests were normal. Urinalysis was positive for 1+ blood, trace glucose, and trace ketones. My new GP tested for diabetes. The A1C1 was negative for diabetes and blood sugar was within normal limits. My urologist recommended follow up in 6 months. I continued to have the black threads in the urine but assumed it was ok due to test results. Today I contacted the urologist again. Just feel like there has to be something since I continue to see the black threads which are probably small blood clots and have had continued microscopic blood in urine without an infection. Also feel like Im having UTI symptoms but know the test will just continue to show that there is no UTI. The urologist recommended a CT Urogram. I will be scheduling that in the near future. Just so frustrated and worried it may be cancer. You have all been through so much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have 2 beautiful little children who I was lucky enough to adopt later in life. They really need me and I am consumed by worry about all of this.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne