5CM bladder tumor found two days ago

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #57593 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic 5CM bladder tumor found two days ago
Welcome. It sounds like you have been through the ringer with other issues other than bladder also. I appreciate your service.

A 5 CM size tumor is above average in size from some reading I have seen. The important thing is you are on your way to solving the hematuria questions. Not often but, sometimes these are not even a cancerous growth. You won't really know what you are dealing with until you have the cystoscope and probably a TURB. The cystoscope for men is a little more...I use the word uncomfortable as the tube pushes through the prostate. Painful? I still prefer "uncomfortable " as it is over in maybe 20 seconds and the actual exam 3-5 minutes as the doc looks inside. There is usually some irritation to where most pee "razor" blades for a few voids after but, you should be back to normal in a day or less. A TURB is called the Transurathral Resection of the bladder under anesthesia as usually a "day" surgery and typically lasts about 30 minutes. There the mass will be cut/burned off and sent to pathology for study. Only then when you get that report back will you really know what you are dealing with. Depending on how much they probe most are back to work in a day or two. Keep posting as you go. We all learn from each other. You are taking the steps to solving this and I know it is easy for me to say 11 years after... just take one day at a time. You will come out of this stronger and more effective.

BTW, you are tougher than me with 2 colonoscopies both with light sedation and a heart cath with twilight as I knew i couldn't handle without knocking me out. Bad news I ended up with a triple bypass but 2 years later good as ever.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uptight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #57591 by Uptight
5CM bladder tumor found two days ago was created by Uptight
Was at the VA two days ago for a cardiac stress test and had mentioned to my VA doctor last Sept. that I had experienced gross hematuria several times in the last year but only for a duration of one day on each occasion. At that time I submitted a urine sample and they found No microscopic hematuria but stated I would have a CT scan the next time my cardiac stress test came up.
After we finished the stress test, went down and had a CT bladder and kidney scan. Was immediately informed that I had a very prominent 5CM tumor in my bladder. I am now scheduled for a cystoscopy on Monday morning next and am concerned with both the CT findings but especially about the size of the tumor.
I am extremely uptight with anxiety over the cystoscopy as I have been watching video's on youtube that portray horror. Someone please give me the actual lowdown on pain levels. I am not low pain tolerance as I have been shot thru twice, have had a cardiac stent installed with no anesthetic and had a colonoscopy with no anesthesia. The procedure looks like something originating out of the Spanish Inquisition.
Also, does anyone know the frequency rate of benign tumors versus malignant tumors?
I find little information pertaining to tumors of this magnitude in size as 5CM = 1.969". Is this a large tumor?
I tried to ask these questions of the VA but could not get answers to my questions and am hoping someone can help me get through this weekend with some answers. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne