Need your help to help my Mom

6 years 4 weeks ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #54966 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Need your help to help my Mom
Welcome babygirl, we are just sorry why you are here. The 2 primary tests for bladder cancer is a cystoscopy and CT scan. Both are very useful with the scope usually the more conclusive in conjunction when used in a biopsy.

The ER Doc was probably concerned with many possibilities so don't be too harsh on him/her in doing a CT scan. They may have been concerned with other internal issues such as kidney stones, cancer of the kidney among many other internal problems. Sometimes a "papillary" mushroom like tumor will be picked up on a CT Scan. There is also a flat (called CIS) rash like tumor that cant be seen. IF they saw a papillary like stalk it MAY or NOT be cancer. There are other types of growths. The ER doctor may have simply wanted to prepare you for the cancer possibility. You won't really know much until the scope and if that is found a biopsy will be scheduled called a TURB (transurethral resection of the bladder). Usually it is a short surgery under anesthesia with a biopsy done with results usually in 4-10 days. So, you really won't know much until then. It is "one day at a time", that is all you can control!

Either way, this is treatable and beatable. Keep posting with questions, someone will be able to help give insight.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sara.anne, Babygirl68

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 weeks ago #54964 by Babygirl68
Need your help to help my Mom was created by Babygirl68
About 10 days ago, my Mom (72) discovered a significant amount of blood in her urine. I'm 4 hrs away but my sister took her to the ER that evening and after numerous tests the ER doc did a CT scan and bluntly informed them that he saw a tumor in her bladder that in his opinion was most likely cancer.

We're all well aware that he should not have said that but as you can imagine she's extremely worried and as we're finding out, getting in to see a Urologist and scheduling procedures is a slow process.

She has an appointment at the Urologist office on April 2nd but I can't seem to get much information about what exactly they are doing at that appointment. Mom was told that a biopsy wouldn't be taken that day but they "might" look with a scope. Honestly, I don't understand the point of just an office visit if the CT scan showed a tumor. Mom wants a biopsy so she'll have concrete results and I agree. Are we looking at this wrong?

As mentioned, I live 4 hrs away but I'm traveling down this weekend and taking off work on Monday to go with Mom to the Urology appointment. I already have a ton of questions I want to ask and I would appreciate any advice, thoughts or tips.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne