I don't even know what to say....also have a question!

6 years 5 months ago #54156 by Jack R
Nicole,

We have all been where you are. Panicked. Try to relax a bit.

You just got a diagnosis no one wants to hear, but you have NO real information. Not yet.

Bladder cancer is treatable, Treatment decisions will depend on more tests, including the biopsy report.

As hard as the waiting will be, do try to wait for news, don't assume the worst.

Best to you and your dad,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #54154 by Alan
Nicole,

Welcome. First, you sound like a very fortunate person with 2 caring parents. Next, pat yourself on the back as a caring step daughter. All I can relate is what I learned years ago from my now retired RN wife. One day at a time! The follow up CT scan will probably give the doctors a good idea whether there is lymph node involvement but, I am not sure that is conclusive until they biopsy some of these. many times these are cysts. So, I would just sit tight until more tests are done (easier said than done). This is still a treatable and beatable disease. Yes, it will be more difficult and not an easy path if there is further involvement. We are here to listen and try to encourage with our 2 cents worth of experience.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 years 5 months ago #54153 by nikkiben
Hello everyone,

My stepfather who raised me since I was 15, and who I am very close with (I do call him my father, he is amazing!), was having some urinary issues and they decided to do a scope to check his prostate. The urologist said when he went in to his bladder he did not expect to see what he found. There was a tumor that took up about 75% of the bladder. They took what they could out and on Monday he got his catheter out, and Wednesday (yesterday) met with the doctor. They stated it was in fact bladder cancer and they said there is lymph node involvement. My question is how would they know this? Do blood tests explain that? He is going for a CT scan on Monday to check to see if it has spread beyond that. He has lost about 20 lbs without trying in the past 2 weeks and he also had a CT scan a few weeks ago and there was a spot on his lungs. I do not know if these are related. I truly hope not, but deep down I just feel something isn't good.
He was a smoker until he met my mother 15 years ago, and I do know smoking can cause Bladder Cancer. I am worried. I cried. I worry about my mother too. He is her lifeline and they love each other very much. I will be devastated if something happens.
His papers he received from the doctor just say stage I, but if there is lymph node involvement isn't that stage IV already? I am confused. He also got more blood work yesterday.
Thanks in advance!
Nicole

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne