Bladder Damaged from cancer

4 years 8 months ago #57937 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Bladder Damaged from cancer
As Alan mentioned, research into artificial or regenerated bladders is still in its infancy. Way too early for any use in humans.

I am sorry to hear about your wife's problems. The "new normal" takes some adapting and getting used to. However, I do know of cancer survivors who do lead full lives with no bladder, doing activities including scuba diving and race car driving.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 8 months ago #57936 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Bladder Damaged from cancer
Here is the link on regeneration. Not a lot of info as it is still in its infancy: www.cbsnews.com/news/medicines-cutting-edge-re-growing-organs/

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #57934 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Bladder Damaged from cancer
Welcome, just sorry for the reasons to be here.

I am not familiar with the health care system in South Africa but, I assume there are some good bladder cancer settings at universities and teaching hospitals. I am adding a link on the different types of diversions, just copy and paste as the hyperlink isn't working: my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion.

There are some places that are also working on regeneration of bladders. Somehow I have lost that link. Just go ahead and do your research via google or another search engine. You may pick up some new info. Some the major hospitals in the US are MD Anderson in Houston, TX, Sloan Kettering in New York, Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, Stanford in Calofornia fpr starters.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 8 months ago #57931 by BMM
Bladder Damaged from cancer was created by BMM
Hi , we are from South Africa . My wife had cervical cancer about 15 years ago and two years ago started having problems with her bladder and reflux into the kidneys with recurrent infections . A few times they inserted stents into the urethras which worked but eventually , whilst trying to repair the bladder , it had become so badly damaged that the urologist described it as trying to fix blotting paper and was extremely porous . They then made a decision to have a stoma done and redirected the urethra to an external stoma . This has also not been without problems as she has had to have several stents inserted into the urethra due them becoming blocked and has been in an out of hospital six times in the last year as each time the blockages have caused kidney infections. She is 58 years old and is young vibrant person who has been a runner in the past and always worn a bikini at the beach etc . The use of a stoma has had many life changing effects on both her and our lifestyle and I am trying to find out the possibilities of having a new bladder being artificial or a transplanted one implanted and if so who can we speak to on an operation like this . I would appreciate any feedback . Thanking all in advance.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne