newly diagnosed and not staged at this pointI

5 years 1 month ago #56929 by Belle45
Replied by Belle45 on topic newly diagnosed and not staged at this pointI
I misunderstood the doctor. It isn't P21 it is PT1 (p for pathology).Papillary urothelia cell carcinoma, extensively invasive into lamina propria. Deep layer in area of tumor trans-urethral resection.
Doctor said he thinks the urological oncologist will want 2 month IV chemo and then remove the bladder.

I have an appointment 3/20/19 with doctor at Emory in Atlanta.

I am 67 and until one year ago no illness other than depression and severe panic/anxiety - near agoraphobic.
Xanax was required for CT Scan and Valium for MRI for pancreas lesion found on CT Scan done for bladder.
pancreas requires monitoring every six months. I am outside the normal range....all I can think is how may panic attacks is my life worth?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #56927 by sjhatch2024
Replied by sjhatch2024 on topic newly diagnosed and not staged at this pointI

I have not heard of a P21 in relation to my bladder cancer. I was diagnosed in 2014 and mine is reoccurring. So far mine has not spread. I have a cysto appt. March 12th that I am not looking forward to. Very sorry they didn't give you better answers. I have a deep respect for my Urologist, he takes great care of me. I would probably seek a 2nd opinion from another urologist if I were you. I want to know and understand what they tell me. It is your body and your decision to make about what treatments you receive. Being newly diagnosed I am sure you are still in shock. Not something we thought we would ever be dealing with. Best of luck to you and I hope you find your answers. Sending prayers your way!! :)

5 years 1 month ago #56881 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic newly diagnosed and not staged at this pointI
Sorry that you need to join our club!!

First, to my knowledge, P21 gene presence is not a diagnostic test for bladder cancer. You need to know what the pathology report determined....what type of bladder cancer is is? is it low grade or high grade? has it penetrated the lining/muscle? What is your urologist actually recommending? Is the chemo supposed to be prior to bladder removal? None of these questions are answered by "P21" You should get, and keep, a copy of the path report.

Once you have found the answers you will be better able to decide what to do. If you don't get the answers to these questions, perhaps a second opinion from a urologist at a place that sees LOTS of bladder cancer cases would be a good idea.

AND, yes...if there is a consensus that treatment that is not available locally is necessary...or for a competent second opinion, you would need to go out of town.

Hope you can clarify your situation.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

5 years 1 month ago #56880 by Belle45
Tumor has been removed and biopsied - urologist said it is P21, more surgery is required and I need to see an oncologist. I will have to go out of town to complete treatment. Does anyone know what P21 means an if it's better to go out of town for everything that has to be done?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne