I wanted to take the time and thank everone that e-mailed or sent e-cards to me after my surgery. You are all so nice, and I'm glad to have meet each and everyone of you if only on this forum. Thanks to this forum for allowing me to meet each of you.THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will close with a big ROLL TIDE sense this is Saturday in the south and football in on, baby.
Wendy is so right. This just isn't time to panic yet and your statement of "what if" is the gold standard statement of classic panic attack.
My understanding of medical protocol is that you must wait until the doctor explains and interprets the results of your pathology before they will make a report available to you. This only makes sense from a layman's point of view because most people do not understand the medical terminology that is couched in the report. Having a copy now might serve to only make your panic worse.
Interpretation and diagnosis is what your doctor is there for and that is what you are paying him for. Relax a little and let him be your doctor. When he has discussed your diagnosis and treatment then that will be the time to ask for a copy of your pathology.
This is just my two cents.
Your new bud,
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006
I'm sorry to see that posting and the replies has only added to your confusion. And calling the assistant being told your condition was 'just congestion' is not very helpful either...!
Ideally someone comes on after they know their pathology, there are so many types and grades of bladder cancer it can be mind boggling for a newcomer who isn't sure of the exact type. It all depends on that, but from what you're describing your uro thought it was of the most common, least threatening type, papillary tumors are mushroom-y looking.
Path reports can take a week, even ten days sometimes. The best thing to do ( I thnk) is not to go reading to many things on the web or the forum because it might hurt and not help at this point in time. That's why we have these little sections, so newcomers don't get too scared of the unknown. When the pathology is known, you are more able to focus on the area of the forum best for you and ask questions to those who have been through similar things.
Please try not to panic. Bring up your concern about the 6 vs. 3 month follow up. Since the guidelines are 3 months (in the USA- maybe it differs other places, under certain circumstances- but 3 months is very common and playing it safe, too), you could talk your uro into that if you push, I"m pretty sure. Just say "guidelines from the AUA".
Ask if there was muscle present in the specimen as that is a requirement from a good reliable biopsy.
No, I have not gone back to the doctor yet. I go back Thursday,for results in detail an a peek.
The doctors assistant called me Wednesday, Nov. 7th (2 days after my surgery, Monday Nov.5) when he called he told me everything was fine, all clear, no cancer.He called because my doctor is out of town and I ask to be contacted when they found something out. I think he actually called it "just congestion"??? I have no idea what that means and will ask Thursday.I do remember the Uro doctor telling me,when he first found it , that it looked like a mushroom. I just ask my husband and the doctor did tell him that he sent a/the biopsy to pathology. It seems that 2 days is not long enough for a pathology report. I have no idea. I will get a copy Thursday (if the doctor will give it to me) I have recently moved to this area and I had called and spoke with my family doctor in my old home town and he ask for me to bring a copy for him to see. I go see him while home for Thanksgiving. I am staying pretty calm right now. What will stay on my mind is what if??? I don't want to do anything if is nothing, but... what if it does show a low grade cancer and he wants to just keep an eye on things. I want to be prepaired with questions so he knows that I have been researhing this myself and he can't just forget about me for another 6 months. He told my husband he would want to check me every 6 months. From everthing that I have read 3 months would be more cautious.
I know this is more of a reply than you expected, but my heading "Don't understand" still hits the mark.
hmmmmm....wonder if anyone else has had a problem picking up their pathology report?
try calling back and be specific and ask if "so and so's" pathology report is ready yet? At least make them look and then refuse you..........Pat