What about her kidneys? Are they functioning now? Any damage? Also i've got to ask..if she's allergic to Cipro IV why on earth could she take it orally?
I'm just a pharmacist....was it just a reaction at the injection site?
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago#19990by shragae
Right - same hospital same top doc.
The doctor who assisted top doc told DS today that they did NOT remove the entire tumor but "not to worry" as they got most of it.
Still don't know for sure if it is benign or not, but they think it probably is benign. The path results aren't back yet.
Also the resident said that my sister couldn't have lasted much longer as the bladder would have completely shut off her urine flow very soon -- which we knew. Top doc said "no way" could she have lasted till 8/11.
The fever is from DS being septic. All this infection was caused by the back flow of urine that couldn't escape. Now it turns out she is allergic to the ciprio in the IV so they stopped the IVs and are giving it to her orally.
Good news is that her fever broke this afternoon so with any luck she'll come home tomorrow -- very weak but feeling so much better.
Progress in the making, thats great she finally made it to a place that can hopefully help her. I am sure you are tired after the drive as you said, but feel relief that her care is in the hands of specialists . Which top hospital are you speaking of. ? Take care, keep us posted, Ginger
Hospital Cleveland Clinic r/c Sept.14,2007
Surgeon. Dr Stephen Campbell and Gill
Gene Beane..66 Ford Motor Company
Engineer, retired Vietnam Vet
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago#19959by shragae
Yesterday my sister had a TURBT at the top hospital with top doc to remove her rare bladder tumor.
I drove about 900 miles with my 85 year old father and 9 year old son to be here with and for her. The doctor thinks he removed all of the tumor and doesn't yet know if it is a leimyoma or a blast. (Her pre-op paper work said as much and I also asked him directly). From the look of it he thinks it is probably benign. We'll know for sure when the path results come back.
She was supposed to come home today, but she is going to have to remain hospitalized at least for today. Unfortunately she ran a fever last night. She's had an infection from this tumor for a few months and they want to make sure she is in better shape before they discharge her. The plan is to release her tomorrow, but it is really dependent on her condition.
We have a joke in our family that if my sister were thrown into a mud hole she'd find a diamond in there. In that vein she was put into a hospital room with a roommate who proceeded to get violently ill. As a result the room wasn't habitable for my sister so they moved her NOT to another room but to the biggest suite in the urology hospital.
Leave it to my sister! She is now queen of one of the nation's top hospitals!
Meanwhile I'm very tired having driven 900 miles to get here on Friday and Saturday and then rising at 4:00 a.m. Monday to drive the one hour one way to the top hospital yesterday. I spent the day there until 3 p.m. when I drove the one hour back to her apartment.
So I'm tied today, but beginning to feel like myself.
Things like this make you really appreciate life. One of the women in the waiting room is married to a Russian. He is 37 and she just found out yesterday very bad news -- he has bad cancer as a result of having lived in the Chernobyl area. I felt so bad for her. We just never know what life has in store for us, so enjoy every day.
Thanks so much for your support. I'll keep the board posted.