Palliative radiation for muscle-invasive

8 years 9 months ago #48985 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Palliative radiation for muscle-invasive
Susie, The radiatin side effects are nothing like the chemo side effects. I went to radiatin 40 times, so I know. The worst thing was some fatigue, I also had some intestinal issues after about 30 trips, but I am sure you are talking fewer trips than that. Think about giving it a try you can always quit at any time.

People do not understand hospic it can be home based and set up for your needs. It is not about the end of life it is about quality of life and can go on for years. They can help with the pain and back off if you don't need them as much for a time. They are about Pallitive care. People freak out when you say hospic because a lot of people only think of them in the last days. But they are much more than that think about talking to them. Tell them what your goals are as far as traval and quality time.

Hope you don't think I am pushing but this is a subject I know a little bit about. I just hate to see you two in pain when there could be help at hand.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 9 months ago #48984 by SusieQ
Replied by SusieQ on topic Palliative radiation for muscle-invasive
Thank you Cynthia. He is not near the end yet and we want to do some visiting, traveling, etc. before then. The pelvic/hip tumor is the problem in that it pretty much confines him to bed due to pain. He is on big-time pain meds now but still can't get around. It's the main muscle that controls hip movement and very unusual for it to be affected. Oncologist is going to refer us to radiologist but if side-effects are as bad as chemo ones, I doubt he'll want to do it.

8 years 9 months ago #48983 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Palliative radiation for muscle-invasive
Welcome to our community I am just sorry you have to be here. I have been through a bit of pelvic radiation as part of a clinical trial. The biggest side effect I had was fatigue. But I do know they have used it as palliative care and it has relieved pain.
If your husband is in a lot of pain have they talked to you about hospic care? Many people believe that to enter hospic is to give up and this is not true. They are all about support dignity and compfort for not only the patiant but also the family. The biggest mistake is that people will wait until things are really bad before talking to them. Not all hospic services are equal if there is a choice in your area talk to a few.
Please remember you are welcome here and we are here for you. Please keep us updated

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

8 years 9 months ago #48982 by SusieQ
Does anyone have any experience with radiation of a painful pelvic/hip tumor? Did it help? Side-effects? Husband is Stage IV Bladder Cancer; surgery not an option. Can't really sit up, stand or walk due to pelvic/psoas muscle tumor. Have been told external radiation would relieve pain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne