Husband having bladder removed

8 years 7 months ago #49054 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Husband having bladder removed
I have an Indiana Pouch so getting a clean catch is easy for me so I did a search and this is what I found.

www.ostomycareandsupply.com/documents/Ururostomy.pdf

It looks like your instincts were pretty good. Everything I read said not to take a sample directly from the bag. Hope this helps.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #49053 by momof8
Replied by momof8 on topic Husband having bladder removed
Been one year since my husband had his bladder and prostate removed, they reconstructed him a new one out of his large intestines. It was a 16 hour procedure. He was diagnosed at stage 4.

8 years 7 months ago #49049 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Husband having bladder removed
I hope that someone who REALLY knows the answer to this will reply, but since it is mid-summer, not a lot of people are around!! If I remember correctly there have been others with you question on the Forum and the answer was that NO, you do not get sterile urine from a bag...so any cultures should be looked at with skepticism!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 7 months ago #49048 by rike
Replied by rike on topic Husband having bladder removed
We are almost 2 months after RC. My husband is still getting used to the bag, but is doing very well, considering the 11 hrs surgery. So far no problems. My question to some of you having the bag. We went to the primary Care provider when my husband had the flu(temp of 102.4). He was diagnosed with the flu, but then they wanted a urine sample and dr said he had a UTI. Is a urine sample from the bag a clean sample? I don't want him to take antibiotics if it is not necessary. His surgery was done at the Mayo Clinic (6hrsfrom us), so we can't go there every time.
would love to hear from others about this. He had no other signs, no bad smelling or cloudy urine at all.

8 years 9 months ago #48971 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Husband having bladder removed
Hi,
Glad the surgery went well ,and wish your husband a swift an uneventful recovery. I am sure others will follow with more post op advice, but it is very important that he takes these early stages very slowly, however impatient he feels. He needs to give his body time to recover from the shock of the op, and baby steps are the order of the day - the more carefully he takes things now the faster his recovery will be in the long run
Diane

8 years 9 months ago #48967 by rike
Replied by rike on topic Husband having bladder removed
Thank you all. My husband had his RC 2 weeks ago tomorrow. He is doing extremely well. I was shocked, when he was discharged on Day 6. I asked them if they were sure. I was so scared. They did the robotic surgery. He is very sore and very impatient. Have to remind him constantly to take it easy. Thank you all for your support. Today was the first time of bag change at home for himself and he did awesome

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne